So last week I wrote my predictions for the Eastern Conference’s playoff teams and I needed just a bit more time to think about the Western Conference. Now that I’ve watched another week of Steph Curry draining threes, Dirk Nowitzki proving he is ageless, and Kevin McHale getting the boot in Houston, its time to get at it.
My Western Conference Playoff predictions are:
- Golden State Warriors: Let’s start off with the fact that Steph Curry is unstoppable averaging 34 points a game and on his way to repeating as the NBA MVP. Oh and by the way, the Warriors are also 13-0.
- San Antonio Spurs: The ageless wonders of Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, and Tim Duncan are still at it along with their leader Popovich. Not to mention Kawhi Leonard is turning into a star and LaMarcus Aldridge is finding his role.
- Los Angeles Clippers: Blake Griffin hasn’t jumped over a Kia yet this year, but he is beginning to gain more and more range. This is also the one team that should’ve beat Golden State, but couldn’t quite contain Steph and company.
- Oklahoma City Thunder: Durant is once again on the sideline, but when you have Russell Westbrook you are still a very competitive team. The OKC tandem might be in its last year together and this will be their year to make a statement.
- Dallas Mavericks: At the beginning of the year, I didn’t know what to expect in Dallas. Dirk is getting old, Monta Ellis and Tyson Chandler have left for new teams and Deron Williams was a huge question mark. Needless to say I have been impressed and Dirk should get another playoff run.
- Houston Rockets: Definitely the most disappointing team in the league. Kevin McHale is now gone surprisingly, but my guess is, it is time to start fearing the beard. There is way too much talent on this team to not be in the playoffs.
- Memphis Grizzlies: Mario Chalmers for MVP!!! JK, I was always a big fan of him on the Heat though and I do see a change of scenery being a big help. With this team its all about the backcourt of Chalmers and Conley putting some points up, because you know Gasol and Randolph will bully guys down low.
- Phoenix Suns: The 8 spot was very tricky for me. I love Anthony Davis, but the Pelicans sit in dead last with only one win. Utah is one of the most underrated teams, but they are not there quite yet and Kobe is too far beyond his years in LA. The Suns are my pick due to a very athletic group with Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, and Markieff, Morris.
My Western Conference Finals Prediction is Warriors vs Clippers.