After 17 weeks of NFL games we have narrowed the field to 12 playoff teams. Everybody expected teams like the Patriots, Broncos, and Seahawks to be a part of this years postseason, but not many expected Kirk Cousins to lead the Redskins and JJ Watt to take advantage of a weak AFC South (even though he does make everybody look weak). Time to break down the 6 AFC teams and give you my Super Bowl Prediction.
- Denver Broncos- Brock Osweiler was the man for the Broncos until he was yanked Sunday for Peyton Manning. Manning did lead the Broncos to victory, but is dealing with a foot injury and could miss some time. Look for the Broncos defense and Demaryius Thomas to carry this team in the playoffs. If I’m a Broncos fan I’m rooting for the Texans and the Bengals in the first round to avoid playing Pittsburgh. All in all, I do not see this team going too far in the playoffs.
- New England- I still can’t get over the fact that the Dolphins beat the Patriots in Week 17. That loss cost this team home field advantage later on and could end up being their downfall. The Pats need to root on Pittsburg in the first round to avoid a tough matchup against the Bengals in a game where Andy Dalton would be back behind center. For the Patriots its all about staying healthy as injuries have really hurt this year.
- Cincinnati Bengals- If Andy Dalton is healthy this is a very dangerous team, but without him expect a first round exit via the Steelers. AJ Green will have to come up big for the Bengals to make a deep run and Jeremy Hill will receive a heavy dosage if Dalton can’t play. Defense and a balanced attack is the name of the game for this team.
- Houston Texans- Four Quarterbacks later the Texans have made the playoffs, but they won’t be around too long. Deandre Hopkins has made things bearable for any QB behind center as he has dominated just about every corner that has lined up across from him. JJ Watt needs to play out of his mind for the Texans to go anywhere as I don’t see Hoyer (even with Hopkins) and Blue putting up a lot of points.
- Kansas City Chiefs- With Alex Smith behind center and Jamal Charles in the backfield I am a big fan of the Chiefs, but thats not the case. They have won 10 in a row, and made history, as this is the first time both the Chiefs and Royals have made the playoffs in the same year. So Super Bowl and World Series in KC? I don’t think so.
- Pittsburgh Steelers- The 6 seed of the AFC might be the team to worry most about. Ben Rothlisberger to Antonio Brown might be the best QB-WR duo in the NFL and Dengello Williams still has it, even though he may be inactive come Saturday night. My keys to success for this team are defense (can they give this explosive offense a chance) and establishing a run game with Williams or whoever else might step up.
AFC Super Bowl Prediction: Pittsburg Steelers, the 6 seed and here’s why: Even without Williams on Sunday they should be able to get after Dalton, who will be shaking off some rust. If AJ McCarron plays, it is over before it starts. Second round, they will draw the Broncos, who has another question mark at QB and finally the beat up Patriots will have no answer in the AFC Championship as they just don’t have enough weapons this year.