With the MLB trade deadline on August 1st this year, we are 2 weeks away and here’s what you need to know about all 15 NL Teams.
- Washington Nationals: Buyers. With one of the best records in baseball there’s not too much the Nationals do need. Look for them to find a way to bolster the bullpen and possibly add another outfielder.
- New York Mets: Buyers. Tied for that 2nd Wild Card spot the Mets are looking to repeat as NL Champs. Pitching is not a problem, but the injuries have hurt. On their shopping list may be a CF as Cespedes has recently stated he wants to stay in LF.
- Miami Marlins: Buyers. The fish hit the open market early as they brought in Fernando Rodney to strengthen the back end of the bullpen. Now the focus turns towards the starting rotation as they have a big need for a 5th starter.
- Philadelphia Phillies: Sellers. Early on a very surprising team but as of late they have struggled and played like the team we expected. The Phillies could shop Hellickson and also a catcher in Rupp or Ruiz.
- Atlanta Braves: Sellers. Complete rebuilding mode as they gear for a new home in 2017. With Bud Norris already out the next decision is whether to part ways with both Teheran and Vizcaino.
- Chicago Cubs: Buyers. Before the All Star break the Cubs proved they are in fact human. The biggest need in Chicago is bullpen help as they will have to decide which prospects to part with.
- St. Louis Cardinals: Neutral. Just out of the 2nd Wild Card I see the Cardinals standing pact with what they have. In a weird stage right now as their players are either very young or very old. Biggest weakness is bullpen with struggles of Rosenthal.
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Sellers. The Pirates will not be big time sellers but they will not buy either. With young starters ready for the big show they will have to make room by dealing the lefties in Locke and/or Niese.
- Milwaukee Brewers: Sellers. The big names reside with the Brew Crew as they will look to shop Lucroy, Braun, and Carter. With Braun they would unload a large contract, where Lucroy is a rental with a team option for 2017.
- Cincinnati Reds: Sellers. This year like always talk will include Philips and Votto, but the most likely to go are Bruce and Cozart. Bruce will most likely look better in the AL with his shaky defense. Cozart known for his defense has swung the bat this year.
- San Francisco Giants: Buyers. Its an even year therefore the Giants are in it to win it. For this team look for them to upgrade at 3rd and also survey the market for relief pitching.
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Buyers. Bud Norris has already been added to the rotation but pitching wins championships and LA is home to the stars so look for Jansen to get some help in that bullpen. Could also look at the OF market.
- Colorado Rockies: Sellers. Tulo went last year so does Cargo go this year? The Rockies always need pitching and can only find it on the trade market so I think so. Besides this trade I think they stay intact.
- San Diego Padres: Sellers. Sometimes you go in that win all mode but nothing works so you break it down and try gain. Trades could include Upton, Norris, and Cashner as the Padres look forward to next year. Extension candidate: Will Myers!
- Arizona Diamondbacks: Sellers. Another one that goes all in but this team is different. They have youth and don’t need to completely tear it down. Trades most likely come for the bullpen with Clippard and Hudson.
Trade Predictions will be coming soon!